Friday, March 23, 2012

The IQ Test

With the end of another school year approaching it's been time for more tests and assessments that determine if Whitney is meeting any of the goals in her individual education plan (IEP).  This happens every year and Whitney is doing well with her reading, social skills and other things.

But this year with Whit's progress in reading and comprehension, the folks at school were able to administer Whitney's first ever IQ test.  The results were kind of humbling.  An average score score on an IQ test is 100.  Whitney scored a 45.  This is obviously well below average and it has me wondering about how accurate it is.  Whitney's listening comprehension is pretty good and getting better all the time.  But I'm not sure how much of the IQ test was listening versus reading or even recognizing patterns.

I'd also be very curious about the allowed responses.  I imagine Whitney was allowed to respond using ASL.  (She's still much better at communicating with sign than with her speech device.)  And were there questions that Whitney knew the answer to but was unable to communicate it to the person giving the test?  It's really hard to say.

Anyway, regardless of all the unknowns in the testing methods, I suppose it's kind of difficult for me to simply accept her score.  As parents, we all have a tendency to think our children are the best and brightest.  And quite frankly, a 45 is still not enough to make me believe otherwise about Whitney.  Have any of you other special needs parents gotten an IQ score for your children?  Were you surprised by what it was?  What methods were used to administer the test?  I'd love to hear from anyone who's had the test done.  I'm not really familiar with the procedure.  I've never even had one myself.  Although, maybe I'll go take one just for fun.

1 comment:

TonyF said...

From what I read, the score is quite common for children with 1p36 Deletion Syndrome, although none of the testing procedures have been acknowledged as accurate.



cerebral palsy