Friday, May 13, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

I wonder if I would be anxious to get out of bed in the morning if I knew my workday would include being bitten, drooled on and possibly even pooped on before I was through. I suspect all of these things are simply a regular day at the office for special education teachers around the world. It was teacher appreciation week last week in our school district and it got me thinking about the sacrifices special ed professionals make to assist children like my little Whitney each day.

Their work is anything but glamorous but it means the world to parents like Melanie and I. In spite of the difficulties I mentioned earlier, there are also some amazingly rewarding moments. I remember one day when Whitney's physical therapy teacher called home to report that Whitney had taken her first steps. We shed tears of joy together that day. And I know there must be immense joy in seeing little ones with special challenges make so much progress throughout the school year.

But that joy doesn't come without sacrifice. In addition to the physical indignities, these invaluable individuals who do so much for our children don't get compensated the way they deserve. I wish I knew how best to reward individuals who have worked so hard to help my child at school. At the very least, let me issue this heartfelt thank you to all who have helped Whitney make it so far in her educational career. We are very grateful!

No comments: