Monday, June 02, 2008

Starting Her Day the Way She Wants


Whitney has decided to take her independence to a whole new level, specifically with the way she starts her day.  One morning a couple weekends ago Melanie and I woke up and it was well after the time when Whit usually comes in to wake us and tell us she's ready for breakfast.

We headed downstairs and found out why she woke up and didn't bother coming to get us to make breakfast.  As it turns out she, took it upon herself to "make breakfast."  The cupboard in our kitchen where we keep our breakfast cereal is well within her reach and Whitney decided to help herself.  Cereal was everywhere!  Whitney was sitting in the very middle of the mess happily munching away.

Mel and I didn't have the heart to get angry.  We laughed and were strangely pleased by our little girl's independence and problem solving skills.  Even though an entire box of cereal ended up on the floor it was great to see Whitney decide to solve her breakfast problem all on her own.

Another morning Melanie and I were awakened by the sound of our printer beeping down the hall in our office.  I accidentally left the door to that room open when I had gone to bed the night before.   Upon waking, Whitney had discovered this and decided to go in and play.    At some point, the thought must have struck her that she would like to draw.  So she punched the buttons on the printer until it fed through a piece of paper.  Then she knocked over the container of pens on the desk and selected the one she wanted to draw with.  When I got up and went in to investigate, I found Whitney happily doodling on the floor of the office. 

It's fun to watch Whitney realize she can do things all by herself.  She's getting so much more confident as she gets older.  I'll just have to remember to close that office door from now on!

5 comments:

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

What an exciting mess and the look on Whitney's face is priceless! She knows she did something very clever and just a little bit naughty :-)

It must be wonderful to see her assert her independence. Who needs Mom and Dad when Whitney can find toys and food on her own? Yeah!

Angie said...

That's wonderful to hear Whitney is solving problems on her own! It was creative, messy and fun all at the same time. It reminds me of when Douglas discovered eggs in the refrigerator while I was taking a shower. And yes, they too were all over the floor! I'll have to remember the rule "doors shut" when Alayna gets mobile someday. Take care!

Anderson Family said...

I love that! It makes me smile whenever sweet Whit does something "naughty"! She know what she wants, why not take care of business herself!

Genevieve Ross said...

I am glad you guys can celebrate the messes Whit makes. It's great to see those problem solving skills developing.
I can't wait to brag about Zoe's messes soon.
Genevieve

Stephanie said...

It's sad to say, but the first time Kaitlyn talked back to me, I cried tears of joy. I was thrilled to see her exerting independence. Fast forward a few years and it isn't quite so joyful now, but it sure was then. That's one of the benefits we get - we will never, ever take for granted the things our children do! Go Whit! I can't wait to see what the next "naughty" thing you do is (well, you know what I mean)!!!

Stephanie Roach