Monday, May 12, 2008

I Made It for You, Mommy

One of my favorite things about Whitney attending school is all the fun things she makes and brings home.  And Mothers Day is always the biggest take-home day of the year.  Thursday Whitney came home with a special little package in her backpack.  Melanie opened it immediately. (What ever happened to waiting until Mother's Day?)

She was excited to find a small jewelry box made out of card stock and decorated with colored crepe paper.  When she opened the top, there was a picture of Whitney inside the lid and a necklace made of yarn, pasta and other assorted materials.

Melanie decided to wear her Mother's Day necklace on several occasions in the following days.  At one point Whitney came up to her, pointed at the necklace then pointed at herself.  At first Melanie, thought that Whitney was trying to tell Melanie that the necklace belonged to her.  Then it occurred to her the message Whit was really trying to get across:

"I made that for you, Mommy."  Melanie asked Whitney if that's what she meant and Whitney proudly clapped to confirm it.  I was amazed.

Here is a little girl that the doctors told us would never speak, or be able to learn much of anything in her lifetime.  And already, in a little over four years, she can show her love for others by making and giving them gifts.  Even better, she's begun to understand what it means to give a gift to someone you love.

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

I know I say this over and over but Whitney is amazing! It's so great that she is able to communicate all of the complex ideas and concepts that she understands. I have to remind myself that Brady might understand more than I give him credit for and that I may need to challenge him more.
Hooray for Whitney!

Debbie said...

Isn't it funny how our kiddos consistantly prove the doctors wrong? I hope that Jacoby will someday be able to communicate with us like Whitney does with you!