Monday, August 08, 2005

More Signing Breakthroughs

Yesterday morning my daughter woke me up much earlier than I'd like. I suspect this is something familiar to most parents. I set her down in front of some toys and proceeded to try and sleep some more on our living room couch while my little girl played. I was more successful at it than I should have been and didn't really come to again until almost two hours had gone by. When I woke up my daughter was still there on the floor playing. (There are advantages to not crawling or walking yet.)

I got up and wandered over to see how she was doing. She looked at me as if to say, "Dad what have you been doing over there?"

Then very distinctly and carefully she brought her hand up and pointed directly at her ear. After that she put her fingers to her lips and made the sign for food. I was shocked. I understood exactly what my daughter meant.

She said, "Dad, bring me my hearing aids 'cause I can't hear and, by the way, where's breakfast?"

I couldn't believe it. My wife and I have worked for a long time trying to communicate meaning through signs. Previously she would make the signs in response to us prompting her, but not associate a meaning with them. So it appears things truly are sinking in. My little one realizes she can make signs or point and convey information to me. I am so glad. Hopefully there's more to come.

No comments: