Friday, July 22, 2005

A Mother's Touch

One thing I've mentioned before is how much responsibility falls upon my wife and I to make sure our little daughter gets the best care and makes the best progress she can. In the end her wellbeing is up to us, not any of the tremendous doctors or educators who assist us. And at our house almost all of that responsibility falls on my wife.

She graciously gave up her career in favor of caring for our child and has dedicated herself to that purpose ever since. I help as much as I can, but I'm off at work a lot of the time. Meanwhile she's making sure our little one makes it to all of the doctor's appointments, therapist appointments and school classes. She gives her the exercises and playtime she needs each day to get stronger. She's responsible for her medications and putting in her hearing aids. I could go on and on.

Suffice it to say that the credit goes to my wife for all of the progress our little daughter has made. Sometimes she gets down because she doesn't think she's doing enough or that our daughter's progressing well enough. The truth is, our little one is making great strides because of the dedication, organization and plain old hard work of her mother.

Being the care giver for such a needy little person is really tough, but my dear wife does it well. I try to help any chance I get, but in the end I'm forced to just stand back in awe at the love and care she gives our daughter. I have every reason to be grateful.

No comments: